Naked Wines offers wine lovers a chance to access a great selection of wines from different winemakers at affordable prices. The unique angel investment model of the Naked Wines online store makes it more than just a wine club.
If you are looking to indulge your taste for great wines without breaking the bank, Naked Wines provides excellent value and access to more than 400 wines from 120 winemakers. We have reviewed this top-rated online wine club to help you understand just how Naked Wines works.
Naked Wines Club Overview
What Is Naked Wines
Naked Wines is a unique online wine store that connects wine lovers with indie winemakers from different parts of the world. Naked Wines was founded in 2008, by Rowan Gormley.
The concept behind Naked Wines is to connect wine lovers directly to winemakers by cutting out the middlemen.
This means that Naked Wines partners directly with independent winemakers to bring their members everything from everyday wines to fine boutique wines that you wouldn’t get at your local wine shop.
For both wine connoisseurs and amateurs, the Naked Wines model is a chance to experience wines from far and wide at a fraction of the cost. Their massive collection of wines means that no matter what your tastes are, you will enjoy the variety available and get to experience select wines that may not be available anywhere else.
How Does Naked Wines Work?
There are two options for customers who want to purchase wine from Nakedwines.com. The first option is to simply go to the online site, select a bottle, pay the list price, and wait for it to be delivered to you. The second option is to sign up as a Naked Wines Angel member which is a subscription service where members pay a monthly fee of $40.
Naked Wines is pretty popular among wine lovers and you may find that when you first apply for Angel membership, you are put on a waiting list. However, the approval process is pretty fast and you should find yourself at the top of the waiting list soon enough.
Once you become a Naked Wines Angel you can then shop whenever you want with your deposit. While $40 is the minimum you can deposit into your account monthly, you can choose to deposit as much as $100 monthly since the amount goes directly to your account. It is important to note that if you choose to end your subscription, your deposit will be refunded back to you in full.
Naked Wines Purchasing Options
When you choose to buy your wines from Naked Wines, there are several ways you can do it. Whether you are an Angel member or not, you will have the option to buy wine by the bottle, case, or by the winemaker as follows:
- Wines: You can choose to review the wines while purchasing by searching for particular wine types or looking up the vintages with the highest ratings. One of the perks of buying from Naked Wines is that they have a well-integrated rating system. This means you can easily tell which wines people rate highly. This is especially useful when you want to try out a new vintage and want recommendations from other wine lovers to guide you.
- Cases: You have the option to buy wine from the Naked Wines by the case and Angel members can get as much as 90% off on their purchase. When buying by the case you can opt for red, rosé, white, or mixed. You also have the option of making your own combination based on your preference.
- Winemakers: Naked Wines stands out from other wine clubs because you get to see the ratings and reviews on winemakers. You can see the selection available from each winemaker and specific details for each vintage. You will find that winemakers on the platform leave comments on their profiles and update Angel members on what they are working on, new releases and so on.
If you are a newbie, you will not have a hard time purchasing wines from Naked Wines. This is because apart from details on the different wines they also include a helpful section on the wine’s detail page. In this section, you will get handy tips like food pairing recommendations, drinking window and much more.
In case you also do not want to spend too much time poring over collections, no need to fret, Naked Wines has a variety of pre-mixed cases. You will also be able to assemble themed cases if you want to go with a specific theme for a party or any other event.
Some of the filters you can use to help you find your wine fast on Nakedwines.com are:
- Shop by style: This will allow you to narrow down your search to options such as Smooth Red, Crisp White, Rosé, Sparkling, etc.
- Sweet Spot: You can use this filter to find wines that have the best value based on quality to price ratio.
- Alcohol percentage: you can also search for wines based on the alcohol content
- Vegetarian & Vegan: you can choose to only view the vegan or vegetarian options available.
- Customer Ratings: searching for the highest-rated wines is a quick way to find the best options available and narrow down your search especially if you are a first-time user.
How Much Does Naked Wines Cost?
The concept of Naked Wines centers on funding independent winemakers so that wine lovers can access their wines directly. This means that one of the key perks of being an Angel member of Naked Wines is that you get great value for your money.
As an Angel member, your first introductory six-pack is a preselected pack which will consist of 6 bottles of either reds, whites or a mixture of both for $39.99. This intro offer comes with 30-day access to the Angel prices and perks. If you choose to cancel your membership within the 30-days you will not be charged any fees. You can also get a full refund if there are any issues with the wines you receive.
After the introductory offer, you can choose your own wines for subsequent orders. Prices on Nakedwines.com tend to vary. For Angel members, prices range from $8.99 for a sweet basic wine to $39.99 for a vintage bottle of champagne. Non-member prices are typically higher although the site does run promotions from time to time that even non-Angel members can take advantage of.
Naked Wines Angel Perks
You do not have to be a member to buy wine from Nakedwines.com but there are plenty of reasons why signing up to be a Naked Wines Angel is well worth the $40 per month subscription.
- As an Angel member, you get up to 60% off on your order.
- Angel members get access to a wider selection of wines.
- For every full case, you order as an Angel member you get a gift bottle every month.
- There is no membership fee, your monthly subscription goes directly to your account and you can use the money for your wine purchases.
- Naked Wines has a 100% money-back guarantee policy in case you are dissatisfied with any of the wines you purchase.
- You can leave the club at any time and your money will be returned to you when you opt-out of your membership.
Wine Options Available at Naked Wines
If you are looking for a great selection of wines, then Nakedwines.com will not disappoint. You will find wines from Napa Valley & Sonoma Valley in California, France, Argentina, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa, and other parts of the world. Some of the options available at Nakedwines.com include
- Whites like Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Reisling.
- Reds like Pinot Noir, Merlot, Malbec, Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Rose’, Sparkling Brut, and dessert wines
Our Top Recommendations From Naked Wines
Napa Valley Merlot 2017 by Matt Iaconis
This classic has a smooth rich taste that goes down well if you are looking for a classic bottle that will work for almost any occasion. The wild berry notes and velvety feel make this a smooth and rich wine that will appeal to almost any palate.
ROX Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2017 by Scott Peterson
Fermented in French oak barrels this double-gold-winning wine is an exceptional pinot with a light and smooth flavor that makes the perfect Pinot noir.
California Sparkling Rose 2016 by Keith Hock:
The refreshing taste of citrus and creamy finish make this lovely sparkling rose’ perfect for brunch or any other occasion that calls for a refreshing and easy-going wine.
Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2020 by Ben Glover
For those who want to experience a crisp white from New Zealand, this bottle is up to the task. The refreshing zesty flavor is delightful and makes a great crisp white for any casual occasion.
Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 by Matt Parish
Napa Valley is known for its rich flavors and this bottle is wonderfully rich and full of flavor. If you are looking for a bold red to pair with a steak dinner, this Cabernet Sauvignon by Matt Parish is a great pick.
Cattoo California Cabernet Sauvignon 2019 by Sharon Weeks
This is a smooth and mellow red that goes down well with meat, chocolate or cheeses. The fruity and creamy flavor makes for a delectable wine that will work for any occasion whether it’s a dinner with friends or just something fun to sip on as you read your favorite book.
Naked Wines Shipping Policy
Naked Wines has a very efficient delivery system that ensures you get your wines well packaged and within 2 to 6 workdays. Naked Wines ships to all mainland USA states. As an Angel member, the first delivery is free and subsequent deliveries for orders above $100 are also free. For mainland orders below $100, the shipping cost is approximately $9.99 via FedEx, GSO, or UPS.
Shipping rates for Hawaii orders is $70, while New Jersey and Alaska shipping costs average $19.99 and $130 per shipment respectively.
Naked Wines Customer Service
Naked Wines has exemplary customer service and you can expect to get alerts and updates on your shipment every step of the way. You can also easily reach the customer service team if you have any queries, complaints or require assistance with your order.
The Naked Wines customer support is available on:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 1-800-673-4718
- Online Live Chat, Monday to Friday 9 am to 6 pm PST
Is It Right for you
Naked Wines Customer Reviews
Overall Rating: 4.5
- Rachel: 5 stars for customer service
I always have said nice things about this company but they just went above and beyond. Especially during a time where customer service is just straight crap, this company just put a huge smile on my face! Their wine is AMAZING but their customer service is even better.
- Ken 5 stars: Excellent
Naked Wines is the only wine club I belong to, and have been extremely happy with their services. I have tried various wines, gifted wines to family and friends. We All Have Enjoyed the Various Wines! The delivery service has been spot on and reasonable! Keep it going!
- Julie 3 stars: Average
Not for Old World Winos Like Me: Let me lead with this, the majority of the wines I’ve gotten from NW have been good quality wines. However, if you are a fan of wines from anywhere besides California, NZ, and Australia, you will probably find the selection a tad limited.
- AZ 4 stars: Great
superior quality but a bit overpriced…superior quality but a bit overpriced in my opinion, but I enjoyed tasting the wine despite that.
- Matt 1 star: Bad
Unauthorized Charges. The company signed me up for a 40 dollar a month subscription without even informing me about it. I made 2 purchases with 2 of my debit cards and they are charging me $80 a month. I had to call my bank and credit card company to report unauthorized activity and place a stop payment on the company.
- Merril 3 stars: Average
Good wine, good prices, nuisance marketing: I joined back in May and I have a case of 12 bottles arriving today. The service is decent, though do be aware you are signing up for a $40 per month paid subscription service. If that were a surprise to a new customer, it would be an unpleasant one.
Why Choose Naked Wines
Whether you buy your wine from the local winery, a grocery store or a wine club, there are several reasons that Naked Wines may be a better option. Some of the pros of choosing Naked Wines include:
- Since Naked Wines partners directly with independent winemakers, you will get access to a greater selection of wines. This means that if you want to broaden your wine experience and enjoy vintages that may not be available at your local winery, signing up at Naked Wines is a great idea.
- One of the perks of buying from Naked Wines is the cost savings involved. For people who enjoy wine, costs can run high especially if you purchase wine in large quantities. However, since Naked Wines cuts out the middlemen and connects customers to winemakers directly, buying from them can be significantly cheaper. This coupled with the Angel discounts and free shipping makes Naked Wines a pretty cost-effective way to buy wines.
- Unlike other wine clubs, Naked Wines does not have a membership fee. This means that your entire subscription fee goes to your account and you can use it to make your wine purchases.
- The moneyback guarantee offered by Naked Wines means that you can always get a full refund if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
- The rating system on Nakedwines.com means that even when making a blind buy, you have a pretty good indication of what you are going to get. Naked Wines has a great rating system that lets wine lovers leave their thoughts on a particular wine which helps to guide the buyer on what particular selections will suit them best.
Naked Wines Alternatives
Naked Wines is a unique wine club with its fair share of perks. However, there are also alternatives wine clubs that wine lovers can also consider including:
- Winc: you get four bottles of handcrafted wine delivered to your door for $39 monthly.
- Bright Cellars: this wine club membership costs $50 per month. Perks include an algorithm that helps to find your perfect wine match. Wine costs $20 per bottle for members and you can choose from reds, whites or both.
- Wine Insiders: this club comes with an offer of 15 preselected bottles for $89 with free shipping. Subscription to Wine Insiders is not monthly but every twelve weeks, you receive 12 bottles of wine for $139.95 and $19.95 in shipping and handling.
Naked Wines is great for both wine enthusiasts and amateurs alike. The wide selection, great pricing and input from other wine lovers make this online wine subscription well worth signing up to.
If you are looking to explore wines from different regions, find new wine styles and support indie winemakers, there is no better way to do it than through Naked Wines.
For its range of wines, customer service and unique business model we give Naked Wines a big thumbs up and recommend it without reservations for any wine lover.